BESSEMER, Ala. — Steyr Arms has announced the arrival of the .40 S&W version of its full-size L-A1 service pistol on American shores. Following last year’s introduction of the L9-A1, the L40-A1 pistol features a full-length slide, 4.5-inch cold-hammer-forged barrel and 12-round magazine capacity for .40 S&W. The Steyr L40-A1 was designed to serve the dual role of a duty and sporting handgun.
- Model: L-A1
- Purpose: Service, sporting, target shooting
- Manufacturer: Steyr Mannlicher GmbH, Kleinraming, Austria
- Importer: Steyr Arms, Inc., Bessemer, AL 35022
- Operation: Semiautomatic
- Caliber: 9x19mm Luger, .40 S&W
- Slide material: Steel
- Magazine type/capacity: Double-stack steel box/17 rnd. (9mm), 12 rnd. (.40)
- Barrel: 4.52-inch cold-hammer-forged
- Rifling: Conventional, 6 grooves, RH twist
- Sights: Drift-adjustable trapezoidal
- Finish: Mannox
- Trigger type: Reset Action System (DAO with integrated safety)
- Pull weight: 5.5 pounds
- Frame material: Reinforced polymer
- Checkering: Anti-slip stippled texture
- Weight, empty: 28.8 ounces (29.6 ounces L40-A1)
- Overall length: 7.9 inches
- Height: 5.1 inches
- Width: 1.2 inches
- Included accessories: Owners manual, lockable box, extra magazine
- MSRP: $560
The new L40-A1 is nearly identical in form and function to the L9-A1 and other handguns in the Steyr line, which combine unparalleled ergonomics, a low bore axis, remarkable safety features, extreme reliability and amazing accuracy—thanks to a consistently crisp trigger break and short, distinct reset. The L40-A1’s full-size polymer frame offers a high grip that places the barrel axis lower in the hand to mitigate muzzle rise, while creating a perfect grip angle and a very natural point of aim.
The drift-adjustable sights are in the Steyr’s intuitive trapezoidal configuration, and a Picatinny rail on the frame’s dust cover provides a mounting position for illumination and laser-aiming devices. The integrated trigger safety within the recently redesigned Reset Action System trigger requires positive finger pressure to operate Steyr’s remarkable double-action-only mechanism. This striker-fired pistol also incorporates a keyed safety lock. The barrel is cold-hammer forged with conventional rifling, and the chamber is fully supported.
About Steyr Arms
Celebrating its 150th anniversary this year, Steyr Mannlicher, GmbH, is one of the world’s oldest and most prestigious firearms manufacturers. Steyr’s comprehensive lines of premium hunting rifles and precision sporting and tactical firearms are technically mature, and their subtle elegance also communicates the harmony between appearance and substance. Steyr’s legendary SBS actions and cold-hammer-forged barrels are distinctive and unparalleled. Steyr Arms is the subsidiary headquarters of Steyr Mannlicher in the U.S. For more information, contact Steyr Arms at 2530 Morgan Rd., Bessemer, AL 35022; call (205) 417-8644; or visit www.steyrarms.com.